Thursday, December 2, 2010

First Thanksgiving

Storytelling/Oral History: Legend of the Corn Husk Doll


Students are learning a Legend: Story of the Corn Husk Doll. They will retell the legend with a partner. It begins  . . . many, many years ago, the corn, one of the Three Sisters, wanted to make something different In this legend, the young woman Corn, was very beautiful. (Comprehension is amplified when listening and interaction with others).
Next, they will be retelling the legend using their notes.

We will celebrate our success by having a Corn Festival on Thursday, December 2nd.

Greetings everyone by Marvin
Time: 12:00 (Noon
Corn Festival ~ thanks to family that brought entrees.
If your last name Starts with M-Z
    Bring a Cooked Vegetable like mashed potato, corn, sweet potato
                          Starts with A-L
    Bring a salad or dessert
Mrs. Brooks class will provide the turkey and condiments.
     We hope you can join us!
Storytelling/Oral History: Legend of the Corn Husk Doll
Photos of Native Americans in what is now New England (Near Plymouth, Massachusetts): Wampanoags

Future Teachers of Alaska ~ helpers
 Visit Web sites about the Pilgrims, the Wampanoag, and the famous harvest feast and learn new facts along the way.
Play Web Quest: View the slides and listen.

Historical perspective:
In 1621, the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest feast that is acknowledged today as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in the colonies. For more than two centuries, days of thanksgiving were celebrated by individual colonies and states. It wasn't until 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, that President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day to be held each November. (History.com)
 
Wampanoag Natives by Jay and Cade



Sharing the Corn Husk Legend: Alexis, Ava, Jeannie, Tayen, & Ewa
Reflections
(I use the Golden Tickets) I learned . . . I was surprised . . . I wonder . . . I discovered . . . I would like to try . . . What  I liked doing the most . . .
               These open-ended responses help student's with their reflections.
Student's shared.
Aiyana shared, "I learned how to make gravy."
Coleton said, "We got to make mashed potatoes."
Jay answered, "I was surprised there was allot of people."
Megan recalled, "I was surprised there was 50 people in just one room."
Ava shared, "I was surprised how much food there was."
Haley said, " I was surprised how many people came."
Ewa explained, " What I like doing the most was helping Ms. Ross."
Hannora thought, "I wonder how many people liked the food."
Cade added, "What I like doing the most was eating."
Marvin announced, "I was surprised of how many people were here and how many chairs we brought in the classroom."
Alexis told, "I was surprised that almost every person came to the feast brought food, the table was full!"
Tayen shared, "I was surprised that my Nanny got to come."
Jeannie said, "I was surprised that my brothers came."


No comments:

Post a Comment